School Library Program Mission Statement
The Sioux Central Community School Library Media Center program supports and enriches the curricula and provides students with the skills to seek, evaluate and utilize information, to develop a love of literature and reading, and to become lifelong learners.
To achieve this mission, the school library:
- Supports the school district’s mission and expectations.
- Provides all members of the learning community access to a supportive, welcoming and learner-centered environment.
- Works in collaboration with teachers, administrators, support staff and parents to provide learning experiences that promote student achievement.
- Fosters the development of reading, writing, speaking and listening skills and provides experiences that expand and reinforce classroom reading instruction.
- Promotes life-long learning through information literacy instruction that is integrated with classroom content.
- Promotes and encourages independent learning, critical thinking, engagement with information in all of its forms and the use of technology to enhance learning.
- Contains rich and abundant collections of materials in many formats-both print and electronic –to meet the teaching and learning needs of the school curriculum and reflect diversity and intellectual freedom principles.
- Fosters connections with the larger learning community to provide students with access to learning resources and activities beyond the school walls. Communicates library program plans, needs and accomplishments to stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Provides students with the skills to search for, evaluate, and use information efficiently and effectively.
- Implements and maximizes interschool and AEA media utilization and facilitates resource sharing through interlibrary-loan with other libraries.